Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Is there anybody out there?... (Pink Floyd now)



This week we dove into the world of Personal Learning Networks (PLNs).  The great thing about PLNs is that there is something out there for everybody.  Everything from the latest on String Theory to underwater basket weaving.  Completely different types of string by the way.  We learned about two very different ways to nurture our PLNs, one was by using Twitter, and the other was through a tool called Diigo.
I’m fairly certain that most everyone has heard of Twitter by now, but if you just recently crawled out from under the rock you’ve been living under I will show you a quick video on What is Twitter?.  I hope that really helped to clear some things up for you.  With Twitter the possibilities are nearly endless with what you can follow.  All you have to do is create an account and start searching for your interests.  You can even have multiple accounts, i.e. school, personal interests, family, etc…  If you would like to learn how to sign up for account here is a tutorial to show you how.

The other tool we used this week is called Diigo.  Diigo may be a little more obscure to some people, but it is very powerful tool.  Diigo allows you bookmark websites and then add “tags” to them that will allow you to find them easier later on.  One way that I have used Diigo in the past is I found an article I wanted my students to read.  I bookmarked and tagged the article and then shared it with the group that my students have previously joined.  They were then able to highlight the article from their laptops and add their own annotations as they were reading.  If you would like to know more about Diigo here is a short video explaining it.



No comments:

Post a Comment