Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Google Drive

This week we did a lot dealing with Google Drive and many ways that you can use it to collaborate with individuals that you are not physically with.  This makes it extremely easy for a group of people to collaborate on a project when it is difficult for them to find a consensual meeting time.  For instance, say you are working with some individuals that are on both coasts, or even in another country.  You can both edit the project in real time, and that can be of tremendous asset to people.  Here is an example of a Google Slide that my class has made collaboratively.  As far as I know no 2 people were in the same room when they did their slide of the presentation, with the exception of my wife and I.  If you are familiar with Microsoft Office, then jumping up to Google Drive will not be that difficult of a leap.  For the most part if you can do it in Office you can do it Drive.  There is one annoying exception that I have found.  
In Office you can write text like this however in Drive your text has to be like this

While I agree that this is a minor issue, it is just one example of a difference between the 2 program suites.  If you would like to know more about how to use Google Drive here is a video tutorial:

          Another great thing about Google Drive is the ability to gather data from all around the world.  For example, I posted a Super Hero Quiz here and I was able to download all of the responses into a Google Sheet and use Flubaroo to grade and analyze my quiz.  Here is an example of the data that you can expect to get from Flubaroo.



        

Granted, this is not as powerful as some, but it gives the instructor a nice quick glance at the relevant data.

No comments:

Post a Comment